Friday, 10 December 2010

Observations

As a nursery teacher, it is part of my job to observe, record, assess and reflect on observations of children. After a discussion with fellow nursery teachers, we discussed how often we should take observations along with our fellow educators. I just wondered if some fellow primary teachers could comment or advise how often they observe each child. We discussed a rota system for the children to try and ensure that each child is observed at least once a week and so that no children "slip through the net". Which is something no one wants for any child.

I am currently doing a postgraduate module on A Pedagogical Documentation Approach to Early Learning and I am looking to read the Emilio Reggio approach for this course to find out more about what is happening in Reggio, Italy. As far as I am aware they have a more child centred approach to the early years and it is very focused on Expressive Arts - some of the art work I have seen from Italy I thought had been done by an adult! So when I have read that book I am sure I will blog about it. I am enjoying writing my thoughts and feel it is a good way to become a reflective practitioner.

Have any thoughts on observations? How do you observe in your class/nursery? Do you use post it's or sticky labels? Or perhaps a more ICT focused approach? Do u use a Dictaphone?

All thoughts and comments welcome... :)

Charlene x

No comments:

Post a Comment